Friday 16 October 2009

Gold and mark making.


Once the gold leaf had been burnished I attacked the doublers with wire wool and fine finishing paper. I wanted the underlying colour to come through, but I got more than I bargained for.



Detail of the front doubler. The colour came through but with a little more work the original texture began to come through as well.


Where the gold leaf had over-lapped a pattern formed, the texture , I feel lends a scratched and worn feel ( perhaps by being held in the paws and claws of a bear )



The back end paper and doubler. The relationship between the colour, visual character and manipulation of the gold heightens the connection between the end papers and doublers. I love the fact that the image on the end papers is partially reflected and distorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment